05 Aug Retaining Talented Employees
What makes a workplace great?
These are the top 12 questions employees ask about a workplace and gives an indication of the “core elements” that attract and retain good employees. (Produced by The Gallop Organisation.)
- Do I know what is expected of me?(Up to 70 % of employees are not clear about what their bosses expect)
- Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?
- At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day?
- In the past seven days, have I received recognition or praise for good work?
- Does my superior, or someone at work, seem to care about me as a person?
- Is there someone at work who encourages my development?
- At work, do my opinions seem to count?
- Does the mission of my company make me feel like my work is important?
- Are my co-workers committed to doing quality work?
- Do I have a best friend at work?
- In the past six months, have I talked with someone about my progress?
- At work, have I had the opportunity to learn and grow?
The answers to these questions seem particularly important to the most productive and talented employees.
They reveal aspects of the workplace that will retain key staff, however they seem less important to under-performing staff. Therefore they have the potential to encourage the best to stay without encouraging those that an employer is less interested in retaining.
Great Work Places
A good organisation will measure the effectiveness of their people development and retention strategies. Some of the best measures include;
- employee retention rates
- customer satisfaction levels
Money is important, but not as important as managers think. Pay did not make the above list. Once an employee is remunerated on or above industry standards it becomes a less motivating factor.
Most of the 12 aspects listed above involve workplace relationships – with colleagues, bosses and workplace friends. It is the nature of these relationships that makes the difference.
If you would like to know how to create the environment that will make your team happy, loyal and productive give one of our consultants a call 02 4926 2699.